Hanna Instruments has had a long history of producing innovative portable meters. Innovations include the first portable conductivity meter in 1980 that used a four-electrode design to allow the measurement across a variety of ranges. In 1984 we introduced the first microprocessor based portable. The microprocessor allowed for automatic calibration instead of using trimmers for manual calibration. In 1990, Hanna introduced the first waterproof portable meter. Waterproof portable meters are now the standard across many industries due to the potential for getting wet, water or solutions, which could damage the sensitive electronics. We continue to use the best available technology to introduce enhancements to the measurement system to help ensure the accurate and reliable readings.
Portable meters are available for the following categories:
- pH and pH/mV
- Dissolved Oxygen
Shop our selection of highly accurate and simple to use portable pH meters. Hanna's portable pH meters boast an excellent value due to their comprehensive range of features and affordability.
Portable pH/ISE meters are available in multiple designs and features. The portables include versions with BNC connectors for ISEs and are available with direct concentration readout or those that use the mV scale. The portable with direct ion concentration readout features:
- ISE's ion weight and charge pre-programmed for Molarity measurements
- Up to five-point calibration with 6 pre-programmed standards
- Concentration readout as ppm, ppt, g/L, ppb, μg/L, mg/mL, M, mol/L, mmol/L, % w/v, and user defined
The HI98190 family of meters are the most advanced waterproof portables that we offer. These meters have a large, backlit, dot matrix LCD that provides an intuitive user interface while operating the meter. These portable meters have many features that are frequently found on benchtop instrumentation. These features include:
- CAL Check to alert the user of potential problems during the calibration process
- GLP data for the date, time, buffers, offset and slope of the last calibration that is automatically stored with logged measurements
- Log on Demand of up to 100 samples that can downloaded using the micro-USB cable
- Up to five-point calibration using pre-defined or custom pH buffer values
Portable EC/TDS/Salinity meters are available in multiple designs and features.
Dissolved oxygen portable meters are available with either Clark-Type Polarograhic, Galvanic and Optical technologies. Each has their benefits with regards to measurement and maintenance. Portable DO meters are available with automatic or manual calibration, automatic or manual input altitude (barometric pressure) compensation and manual input of salinity for compensation. Meters are available with built-in BOD algorithm for calculating the BOD after two measurements, taken 5 days apart, are made.
- Clark-Type Polarograhic, Galvanic, and Optical technologies
- Automatic or Manual Calibration
- Meters with Barometric Pressure Sensor
Multiparameter portable meters have the ability to measure multiple parameters including pH, ORP, dissolved oxygen, conductivity, turbidity, temperature, pressure, and specific ions with the use of either chloride, ammonium or nitrate ISE.
The multiparameter meters can be broken down into three main categories.
- pH and EC meters that use an amperometric probe
- Multiparameter meters that include pH and EC meters that use an potentiometric probe
- Portable meters that measure a single parameter but can be upgraded to measure another parameter
Many meters that measure conductivity allow other units to be displayed including Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), resistivity, and salinity.